Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Talladega Superspeedway NASCAR - Road Trip

Talladega Superspeedway
© Photo by Patti Buchanan
I must admit I was a little jealous when my friend called me last week to “share” the sudden plan to road trip it to attend the Talladega Superspeedway #GEICO500 and CAMP THE INFIELD with her husband.  I’m not complaining,  because I was invited to go.  In fact, they even offered to pay for the campsite and my ticket -  the only catch -  I would need to drive the RV the 2080+ miles to the track.

As much fun it sounded, I just wasn’t sold on the overall cost of fuel and last minute logistics for a 4,100 mile round trip to Alabama and back.  When I offered to just fly and meet them there, the invitation was quickly rescinded as “the tent would be too small for the three of us.”   

These friends have been camping the infield at Michigan International Speedway NASCAR races for as long as I remember.  Her father was one of the volunteer fire fighters at the track over 30 years ago and they have been going ever since.  

Packing the Car for the Trip
© Photo by Patti Buchanan
If ANYONE is the actual NASCAR Infield Camping GURU -  that would be her.  She had their ‘Dega campsite tickets ordered and received within a week of his announcement to pack the car!  She has every gadget, checklist, cooking tool and recipe you would ever need for some of the finest gourmet lunches and dinners you could eat at a race.  I’m betting she even had the trip planned down to the minute of when they would arrive at the track.  Like I said, she’s the real NASCAR Infield Camping Guru!

It was fun to watch their ‘Dega trip when they shared it on Facebook or from an occasional text message and photo.  Now I don’t know if this was an anniversary present to each other, but the timing was impeccable for them making this trip to attend the Talladega race right after their 24th wedding anniversary.  Either way, I’m happy for them for being able to celebrate 24 years together on an awesome road trip?  Congratulations!  You deserve it!
Talladega Campsite (Caveman 813)
© Photo by Patti Buchanan

P.S.  Just to remind you, that’s Jeff Gordon’s number!  I know you're a big fan. ; )


Celebrating 24 Years!  Congratulations!
© Photo by Patti Buchanan
Making new friends at Talladega Superspeedway Infield!
© Photo by Patti Buchanan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Need to add an image? Use this code

[img]IMAGE-URL-HERE[/img]